Raycast makes it simple, fast and delightful to control your tools. We're looking for a Design Engineer to join our small team to craft, shape and improve our web experiences.
The ray.so ecosystem is expanding. It began as a tool for sharing code snippets and can now be seen widely on Twitter. It has evolved into an icon builder and an explorer for snippets, prompts, and themes.
As a Design Engineer at Raycast, you will help unify the ray.so products, visual language, and codebase. All while taking the initiative to build new features, improve the existing UI, and polish the user experience.
Raycast is a native macOS application with a significant focus on top-notch UI and interactions. We genuinely care about user experience, performance, privacy and ease of use. We had enough of dealing with slow and clunky tools. Raycast is our attempt to let you enjoy your daily workflows without all the distractions and frustrations.
The app comes with a set of built-in extensions such as Clipboard History, Window Management, Calendar and more. These extensions are an integral part of daily workflows for thousands of developers and integrate deeply with Apple's operating system. Raycast is the perfect environment to bundle micro productivity tools and we have tons of plans to add new ones.
We're a fully remote company spread across Europe and looking for candidates in EU-friendly timezones (UTC ± 3 hours). This position is for a full-time employment.
In this role you will...
- Design and code delightful user experiences. Whether you design in Figma or in code, you'll have the freedom to build web-based experiences that will help people be more productive.
- Research, ideate and iterate on new features. Think of this as a playground. You'll have the opportunity to explore new ideas and bring them to life.
- Obsess over details and get lost in pixels. You're passionate about clean and simple interfaces. You care about efficient human-computer interactions and optimize for keyboard interactions. You keep things simple and are willing to iterate on something multiple times to get it right.
- Work autonomously and own your features. We're a small team. Everybody has autonomy and responsibility. You work on features from ideation over release to maintenance.
- Contribute to our design system. You'll have the opportunity to (and shape) our design system on the web. Add and improve components to create a consistent look and feel.
- Maintain open-source projects. We're big fans of open-source. You'll have the opportunity to maintain and contribute to our open-source projects.
You will be a great fit if...
- You're an Apple platforms enthusiast. You have some experience working with macOS or iOS and you look forward to every WWDC.
- You're highly productive while writing quality code. You are able to break down big projects into small deliverables. You care about the output and take a pragmatic approach to deliver it. You keep things simple and prefer to write a little bit more code rather than adopting a third-party dependency. You know when code reviews or writing tests are beneficial to the changes you introduce.
- You're product-minded. You have a sense for great user experience and feel when something is off. You prefer polishing a feature instead of shipping soul-less pixels. You use analytics to reason about changes in the app and pro-actively iterate on them.
- You put our users first. Throughout Raycast you will find a lot of little details. You pay attention to details and aim to provide our users with a delightful experience. You can't stand bugs (big or small) and never shy away from user feedback.
- You're an empathetic communicator. You treat technology as tradeoffs. You may be opinionated but you're not ideological. When disagreeing, you communicate your perspective thoughtfully and compromise when needed. You thrive in a team environment and hold yourself and your colleagues accountable.
- Next.js. You like being in the loop of new Next.js updates. You're able to compare the return on investment of new features and know when to adopt them.
- Typescript. You're familiar with Typescript and know how to use it to your advantage.
- Radix. We use Radix Primitives as a base for our components. This way we can focus on the important parts of our product, while delegrating complex features.
- Modern work tools for everything. Linear for issue tracking, GitHub as source control, Sentry for error reporting, Vercel for analytics, Slack for internal communication, Figma for pixels, Notion as knowledge base and a few others. As a team, we enjoy using CleanShot, Bear, Things and a few other Mac apps.
Why joining us?
- We're at the beginning of our next chapter. You will join us at the right time to have major impact on the future of the company. We released our platform, established a friendly community and are jumping head first into expanding our product and business through our Pro and Teams subscriptions.
- We're backed by great investors. We're backed by Accel, Coatue, Y Combinator, Chapter One and angels such as Charlie Cheever (Co-Founder of Expo & Quora), Calvin French-Owen (Co-Founder of Segment), Zach Holman (Early GitHub engineer), Koen Bok
(Framer, CEO), Karri Saarinen (CEO, Linear) and many more.
- We're individual contributors at heart. We value full ownership and responsibility, choose quality over quantity and put our users first. We're motivated by shipping truly great software.
- We'll treat you well. Get a competitive salary, stock options and health insurance. Plus, we provide a monthly health benefit for a gym, pay for your co-working space, give you the latest MacBook Pro with a 5K display and accessories and provide flexible paid-time off (PTO) plus all your national holidays.
How to apply?
Now that you know about us, we would like to learn more about you. Send us an engaging message at email@example.com with information you think is relevant. Tell us why you want to join us, what excites you about the problem we're solving and how you envision your role at Raycast. Read about our application process.